Our Mission is to engage, educate and motivate DAUK members on policies to extend quality affordable healthcare for all eligible individuals and families living in the United States.
We will provide high-quality information, research, and analysis.
We will identify, encourage and support opportunities for discussion, networking, speaker events and other activities leading to activism in the UK and the US at the federal and state level.
Elizabeth Crocker RN MSc, Co-Chair
Carol Moore, Co-Chair
Rod Dubitsky, Researcher Extraordinaire
Contact us at email@example.com
Our Goals for 2019 – 2020 - coming soon.
Our Strategies and Plans for 2019 - coming soon.
Activism vs Lobbying
Activists perform the function of Advocating either for or against some cause, idea, or other such issues affecting people. Lobbyists, on the other hand, work to influence the decisions of Congress, politicians, and public officials to get important issues introduced as bills and attempt to get them passed as laws.
Direct lobbying refers to attempts to influence a legislative body through communication with a member or employee of a legislative body, or with a government official who participates in formulating legislation.
Grassroots lobbying refers to attempts to influence legislation by attempting to affect the opinion of the public with respect to the legislation and encouraging the audience to take action with respect to the legislation. In either case, the communications must refer to and reflect a view on the legislation. (Source: irs.gov)
The key to successful grassroots lobbying efforts is assembling people who share common goals and concerns. Grassroots communications are vital in educating legislators to the concerns of the voting population in their State.
Grassroots Activism at Home
- Local town, county and/or state Democratic Party
- League of Women Voters
- Emily’s List
- ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union)
- Post ‘16 Activist Groups
- Local chapters of Women’s March
- Run for Something
- Swing Left
Grassroots Activism from Anywhere
- Phone banking
- Postcard writing
Grassroots Lobbying on the Hill
- Door knocking
- Meetings with Healthcare Legislative Aides
- Meetings with Representatives & Senators
- Testifying before Cabinet & Congress – DHHS, House Ways & Means, Senate Finance
Non-partisan expert, trusted information and analysis on National Health Issues:
- Alliance for Health Policy - http://www.allhealthpolicy.org/
- The Commonwealth Fund - https://www.commonwealthfund.org/
- Kaiser Family Foundation - https://www.kff.org/
- Kaiser Health News - https://khn.org/
Balanced reporting, analysis and views:
- Axios - https://www.axios.com/health-care
- CB Insights - https://www.cbinsights.com/research/
- Politifact - https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/